The BET Awards has been the talk of the week for many reasons. J.T. throwing her phone at Lil Uzi happens to be one of the topics and we haven’t been able to stop cutting ass on, mostly because Uzi hit her with the super innocently “I AINT EVEN DO NOTHIN!” that many women have heard at least once, twice, or thrice in their lifetime after catching a man doing some shit they know they’re not supposed too.
The whole altercation had us thinking, what are some award show fights that had us thinking “OH SHIT!” as everything goes down. Here’s our ranking:
- N.W.A vs. Eazy-E at the Billboard Music Awards 1989: The members of N.W.A, a prominent hip-hop group, had a public dispute with their former member, Eazy-E, during their performance at the awards show. The tension arose from ongoing disagreements and business disputes.
- Death Row Records vs. Bad Boy Records at the Source Awards 1995: The rivalry between the West Coast’s Death Row Records (led by Suge Knight and featuring artists like Tupac Shakur) and the East Coast’s Bad Boy Records (led by Sean “Diddy” Combs and featuring artists like The Notorious B.I.G.) escalated at the Source Awards. Tensions between the two camps resulted in altercations and verbal exchanges.
- Ice Cube vs. Cypress Hill at the Soul Train Music Awards 1991: Ice Cube and Cypress Hill were involved in a backstage altercation at the Soul Train Music Awards. The exact details of the confrontation are disputed, but it added to the growing tension between the West Coast and East Coast hip-hop scenes.
- 50 Cent vs. Murder Inc. at the Source Awards 2000: The ongoing feud between rapper 50 Cent and the Murder Inc. record label (including artists such as Ja Rule and Irv Gotti) reached a boiling point at the Source Awards. Gunfire erupted, and chaos ensued, although no one was injured.
- Gucci Mane vs. Jeezy at the BET Hip Hop Awards 2012: Gucci Mane and Jeezy, both prominent figures in Atlanta’s hip-hop scene, had a long-standing feud. The two rappers crossed paths at the awards show, resulting in a heated argument that turned physical. Security intervened to separate them.
- Migos vs. Joe Budden at the BET Awards 2017: During a red-carpet interview, the rap group Migos got into a confrontation with rapper and media personality Joe Budden. Budden abruptly ended the interview and threw his microphone, resulting in a tense exchange.
- The Diplomats vs. G-Unit at the Hot 97 Summer Jam 2004: The Diplomats (also known as Dipset) and G-Unit, two prominent rap groups, had an intense rivalry in the early 2000s. During the Hot 97 Summer Jam concert, tensions erupted, and a brawl broke out between members of the two camps.
- Chief Keef vs. Migos at the BET Hip Hop Awards 2013: Chief Keef and the rap group Migos had a heated exchange during the awards show. The dispute escalated into a physical altercation backstage, leading to a brief scuffle before security intervened.
- The Game vs. Young Thug at the BET Hip Hop Awards 2014: The Game and Young Thug were involved in a backstage altercation during the awards show. The dispute reportedly stemmed from social media exchanges and escalated into a physical confrontation, although details remain somewhat unclear.
- RZA vs. Joe Budden at the BET Hip Hop Awards 2009: Rapper and producer RZA and Joe Budden had a backstage altercation at the BET Hip Hop Awards. The details of the confrontation are not widely known, but it added to the tension between the two artists.